You can try to use and improve the --progress option in another patch
submission which shows how things are going.

That'll certainly be useful, but won't solve this issue. The thing is
that with asynchronous replication you need to know how long it takes
until all nodes are back in sync, with no replication lag.

I can probably do it with a custom pgbench script, but I'm tempted to
add support for timing that part separately with a "wait command" to run
at the end of the benchmark.

ISTM that a separate process not related to pgbench should try to monitor the master-slave async lag, as it is an interesting information anyway...

However I'm not sure that pg_stat_replication currently has the necessary information on either side to measure the lag (in time transactions, but how do I know when a transaction was committed? or number of transactions?).

--
Fabien.