On 05/28/2013 03:36 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

The other option would be to do it on query execute but that doesn't
seem as efficient as it would have to be parsed each time. Although
it would still be better than reading the actual SQL.

Well, you could do SET TRANSACTION READ ONLY, and that would prevent any
write transactions.  You could assume it is a read query, and get the
error and resubmit on the master if that happens, but that sounds
inefficient.  I thought you were asking for something where you could
submit a query and it would report back as read/write or read-only.

No I am suggesting something that before anything happens with the parser, the protocol knows what is up. So things like pgpool-ii don't even need a parser, it just knows it is a read only query because the protocol says so.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc