On 5/18/16 6:37 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Gavin Flower
<gavinflo...@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
On 18/05/16 09:34, Vik Fearing wrote:
On 17/05/16 21:32, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

Is SCAN_ALL really the best we can do here?  The business of having an
underscore in an option name has no precedent (other than
CURRENT_DATABASE and the like).

ALTER DATABASE has options for ALLOW_CONNECTIONS, CONNECTION_LIMIT, and
IS_TEMPLATE.

How about COMPLETE, TOTAL, or WHOLE?

Sure, I'll play this game.  I like EXHAUSTIVE.

I prefer 'WHOLE', as it seems more obvious (and not because of the pun
relating to 'wholesomeness'!!!)

I think that users might believe that they need VACUUM (WHOLE) a lot
more often than they will actually need this option.  "Of course I
want to vacuum my whole table!"

I think we should give this a name that hints more strongly at this
being an exceptional thing, like vacuum (even_frozen_pages).

How about just FROZEN? Perhaps it's too confusing to have that and FREEZE, but I thought I would throw it out there.

--
-David
da...@pgmasters.net