On 6/3/16 12:21 AM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
On 01/06/16 17:55, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Petr Jelinek <p...@2ndquadrant.com
<mailto:p...@2ndquadrant.com>>wrote:

    That GUC also controls worker processes that are started by
    extensions, not just ones that parallel query starts. This is btw
    one thing I don't like at all about how the current limits work, the
    parallel query will fight for workers with extensions because they
    share the same limit.

​Given that this models reality the GUC is doing its job.  Now, maybe we
need additional knobs to give the end-user the ability to influence how
those fights will turn out.

Agreed, my point is that I think we do need additional knob.

We need one knob to control how many process slots to create at server start, and then a bunch of sliders to control how to allocate those between regular connections, superuser connections, replication, autovacuum, parallel workers, background workers (by tag/label/group), and so on.