On 09/06/2016 10:42 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinn...@iki.fi> wrote:
I attach a patch that changes how we maintain the heap invariant
during tuplesort merging.

Nice!

Thanks!

BTW, the way that k-way merging is made more efficient by this
approach makes the case for replacement selection even weaker than it
was just before we almost killed it.

This also makes the replacement selection cheaper, no?

I hate to say it, but I have to
wonder if we shouldn't get rid of the new-to-9.6
replacement_sort_tuples because of this, and completely kill
replacement selection. I'm not going to go on about it, but that seems
sensible to me.

Yeah, perhaps. But that's a different story.

- Heikki