> On Sep 25, 2017, at 07:55, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.duns...@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
> Let's ask a couple of users who I think are or have been actually
> hurting on this point. Christophe and David, any opinions?

Since about 90% of what I encounter in this area are automatically-generated
migrations, having a clear set of (perhaps restrictive) rules which never fail
is the most important.  It's easy to split the CREATE or ALTERs out into their
own transaction, and leave usage (such as populating a table from a migration)
to a second transaction.

It's not clear to me that this is a vote either way, but I think the easiest
thing to explain ("you cannot use a new enum value in the same transaction that
created it") is the best in this situation.