Why should ALTER COLUMN change the column number, i.e. position?

Because it creates a NEW column.

It may be that programmers should not rely on this, but it happens, and in very
large projects. If we can avoid unexpected side-affects like moving the
columns position, then I think we should.

This is *expected* if behaviour if you delete and add columns; is there any DB system out there that allows to reshuffle the column ordering?

MySQL

Chris