Tom Lane wrote:
Greg Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

How is what you're suggesting more portable?

Well, the driver would be free to implement $sth->last_insert_id() using
whatever proprietary extensions it has available. The non-portableness would
at least be hidden in the driver layer.

Are you asserting that last_insert_id() is a portable function?  I doubt
it.

I'm not familiar with the Perl interface, but JDBC has a standardized interface for this:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#executeUpdate(java.lang.String,%20int)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#getGeneratedKeys()

I tend to agree that a protocol-level change is easier to support in a driver. If it's done by extending INSERT/UPDATE, the driver will need to parse and modify queries which is hairy at the best of times.

-O