Simon, Neil, all:

> IMHO calling this a "foolishly written query" is completely arbitrary. I
> can imagine plenty of applications for which a cartesian join makes
> sense. In this case the user didn't write the query they meant to write
> -- but it is surely hopeless to prevent that in the general case :)

Hey, this reminds me, it's about time for us to set ADD_MISSING_FROM=FALSE as
the default, for 8.1, yes?   When we added the option in 7.4, it was with the
expectation of changing the default.

The reason this is relevant is "Missing FROM Clause" is a frequent cause of
cartesian joins, because a user mixed up their table aliases.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq