Tom,

> To put it more bluntly: exactly what are you accomplishing here that
> isn't already accomplished, in a *truly* standard fashion, by the
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA?  Why do we need yet another nonstandard view on
> the underlying reality?

To quote myself:

Q: Why not just use information_schema?
A: Because the columns and layout of information_schema is strictly defined by
the SQL standard. ÂThis prevents it from covering all PostgreSQL objects, or
from covering the existing objects adequately to replicate a CREATE
statement. ÂAs examples, there is no "types" table in information_schema, and
the "constraints" table assumes that constraint names are universally unique
instead of table-unique as they are in PG.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq