On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

"Sergey E. Koposov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Yes, the decreasing of max_prepared_transaction helped (after some
testing, I've found that the max_prepared_transactions=3
max_connections=10  shared_buffers=20 was well enough to fit 1mb of
shared memory)

20 buffers ... ugh.  Obviously we are on the hairy edge of no longer
functioning at all in 1MB shared memory.  I'm not sure there is a whole
lot we can do about this, but it's a tad irritating that clog, subtrans,
and multixact are eating the equivalent of about 16 buffers
(nonconfigurable) while the main buffer pool is so badly starved.
It'd be better to reduce their allocations.

Would it be a good idea to make them share a single pool? (in 8.2, of course).

And how about making the slru page size smaller? clog, subtrans and multixact are quite randomly, I think.

- Heikki

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster