Bryce,

Thanks for your reply.  Actually, I mentioned FFI etc. because that
appeared to be a way to get what OSProcess wanted in terms of
dependencies; using Universes should handle that part for me.

FFI would be of interest on its own, but appears to make people
nervous.  Is that for good reason?  Put another way, if I want to make
some calls into a dll/so, do I really need to mess around with
creating/compiling/distributing a plugin?  It seems like a lot of
overhead, especially since Dolphin does such a nice job based on a
mechanism very similar (in apperance at least) to FFI.  That said, I am
interested in candid opinions; maybe things really are different in
Squeak/Pharo.

Thanks!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: (352) 273-6785
FAX: (352) 392-7029

Bill Schwab writes:
 > Before doing something I might regret, I wanted to check with you
about
 > installing OSProcess, VMMaker(?), FFI, etc.  Do you have anything to
say
 > "try it and report any problems?"

I load OSProcess and FFI from universes, it works loading into
a recent pharo-dev image.

There's an issue with CommandShell as it subclasses off some MVC
classes, I think it's safe to ignore.

I'd load VMMaker from SqueakSource directly, but it depends on what
you want to do. I've merged the FreeType changes into the Exupery VM's
and will add closure support in the next few days. Loading Exupery-dev
from the universes will load all the packages you listed. (Though,
there's an incompatibility between Exupery and the stricter instance
variable checks in Pharo, will be fixed in the next release.)

Bryce