Lukas, all,

Serial ports are a must for me.  Whether or not that means they need to
be in the base is another question; I vote yes.  USB would be of more
use if the consortium would spend less time telling us what they are
not, and focus on telling us what they are and how to do what we want.
Plug-n-play is "simple" until it becomes unpredictable, which is my
experience w/ USB in embedded devices.  It is wonderful for hooking up
printers and flash drives, and is TERRIBLE for configurations that need
to "just work" for weeks/months at a time.

My Canadian friends (www.connecttech.com) make various cards that add
serial ports to machines; their hardware and drivers are basically
bullet proof.  The notable exception is their USB-serial product, which
works, but suffers from USB grumpiness.  Please think of serial ports as
being alive and well.  They are very commonly used in the embedded
systems world.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: (352) 273-6785
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/30/2008 1:53 AM >>>
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:44 AM, John M McIntosh
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was glancing thru the source code and noticed we have the serial
port &
> midi classes.
> Do we need those in the base Pharo?

I don't think so.

The serial port seems to be rarely used nowadays. It would be more
interesting to have access to the USB ports.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch