Gary,

Space to sides of the buttons??  Perhaps unrelated, but I have been thinking of
something similar while poking at Damien's recent dev image.

Bottom line, I switched to Soft Squeak and was pleased to see that the OB
buttons didn't look quite as (pardon me) UGLY<g> (sorry, but that needed to be
said) as they did not long ago.  It's getting quite nice.  The problem was not
the buttons so much as an awkward combination of shape, size and mismatching
background color behind them.  It would help even more to "do the same thing to
the code buttons that has been done to the classes buttons."  I hope that makes
some sense.  Take a look at the browser in soft squeak.  Note two rows of
buttons "in the middle."  The upper row looks nicer than the lower row; a tweak
of background color would help a lot, I think??

Soft squeak is a nice theme, and (I assume OB changes) have helped it a lot; it
was hard on the eyes for a little while.  In replying to something not long
ago, you mentioned the range of themes and how they differ in color handling.
In particular, Soft Squeak lets the tool colors show through.  I have an idea
for using that to advantage.  The clay rose tint to the debugger is great - it
does just the right psychological thing without being too strong.  The browser
color could be nicer; of course it can be set, but I think we should find
another default.  I recall playing with blues some time ago, but it can't be
too strong due to the label text color.   Anybody have any ideas?

While I might be setting us up for even more drawing and a speed hit (ignore
this if you fear that), it might be nice to render the tool-specific title bar
icon in the task bar.  That way, we could use the same color for browsers and
workspaces, and still have them stand out by icon.  The debugger would keep its
color, as might the preference browser and other "special purpose" tools.

Just some ideas.  Thanks for the great work!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology