While some of the suggestions (AMQP, STOMP) were over my head, I'm in the
process of getting UbiquiTalk to work and already have rST going.

But, for my use case i.e. sending remote commands between (only) two images
on the same machine, why not just send the commands as strings over a
socket, and evaluate them with the compiler?  Obviously there's no security,
but since it's in-house only...  A proof-of-concept is below:

Server image:
server := Socket newTCP.
server listenOn: 8081.
server waitForConnectionFor: 600.
server sendData: 'Workspace open'

Client image:
client := Socket newTCP.
client connectTo: (NetNameResolver localHostAddress) port: 8081.
Compiler evaluate: client receiveData.

Add a loop and we're all set.

Sean