Looks like your version is very old, because the change-log in
RxParser class>>#b:whatsNewInThisRelease says:

  VERSION 1.1a  (May 2001)

  1. Support for keeping track of multiple subexpressions.
  2. Dot (.) matches anything but NUL character, as it should per POSIX spec.
  3. Some bug fixes.

Pharo contains the latest version available:

  VERSION 1.3.1 (September 2008)

Additionally the version in Pharo includes an uncountable number of
bug-fixes related to regular expressions that would cause infinite
recursion, repeated matches, skipped matches, invalid empty matches,
misaligned replacements, etc. Unfortunately these changes were not
back-ported into the official VisualWorks version, as I never heard
back from Vassily.

Lukas

2010/8/31 Nick Ager <nick.a...@gmail.com>:
>> Is there a way to allow the regex '.' (dot) to match line break
>> characters:
>> 'hello regex' matchesRegex: '.*regex'    "true"
>> 'hello
>> regex' matchesRegex: '.*regex'    "false"
>

>> In my image the second expression returns true as well.
>>
>> In fact the '.' (dot) matches anything but the null character (see
>
> Thanks - I shouldn't make assumptions - it matches in Pharo but not in
> Gemstone - I assumed the implementations would be identical.
> As you say the culprit is RxMatcher>>#syntaxAny
> In Pharo:
> RxMatcher>>#syntaxAny
> ^RxmPredicate new
> predicate: [:char | char asInteger ~= 0]
>
> In Gemstone:
> RxMatcher>>#syntaxAny
> ^RxmPredicate new
> predicate: [:char | (Cr = char or: [Lf = char]) not]
> Nick

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch