Hi,

This is not great at all. Please read this before going forward.

We had this in OCompletion before and then it got changed to not use CR for a
reason. The problem is when using fluent APIs that are best read when written
on multiple lines. For example, suppose that I want to type something like this
in Glamour:

        a tree
                display: [ ... ]

After typing "a tree", the first proposed item is "treeLayout" (see the
attached picture). If I press enter to go to the next line "tree" is replaced
with "treeLayout" and this is not the behavior I want.

The problem is that CR has a useful meaning when typing a piece of text and
this makes it not good as a completion character. Tab on the other hand, is
only used in Smalltalk at the beginning of an empty line so there is no danger
of overloading its functionality in the middle of a text.

Now, if you insist, I still believe there is a place for CR. Completion has two
modes:
1. one in which I write and the completion offers me something, and
2. one in which I am after I press the down arrow to select some completion
item.

For 1. you do not want to have CR as a completion character. For 2. it is
probably ok because you enter explicitly in a temporary mode and thus you are
not typing anymore and this will not induce the conflict.

Cheers,
Doru

<<inline: example-glamour-fluent-api.png>>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."