On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Friedrich Dominicus <
fr...@q-software-solutions.de> wrote:

> Ok I spend my time today on building a new virtual machine. And my
> assumptions in my last mail were  wrong. The code is not hand-written
> but is generated. Now I  understand that. But now I see that while
> building the virtual machine the stuff probabably is taken form the
> PharoV10.sources file  from which it seems SerialPlugin.c is build.

Sorry, I didn't read the email until now, the subject was not very good ;)

> Now in PharoV10.sources there is are not the patches to use ports by
> Name as needed in Linux. So now my question is. After I've build a new
> virtual machine how can I  modify one of the plugins to update  them.

For the plugins, there are two parts: the VMMaker part (usually a plugin is
a subclass of InterpreterPlugin) and the C part.
Some plugins are directly included in the VMMaker package/repostitory and
some others are in different places (usually when they are not "core"
plugins).

The VMMaker part of SerialPlugin, is in VMMaker package, so if you followed
my instructions, when you downloaded VMMAker, you should have downloaded the
class SerialPlugin which is in the 'VMMaker-Plugins' category.

Now, if you need to modify something to the "platform code", hand written C
code, then such plugins can be found in Git or in the SVN.
In git, they are in https://gitorious.org/cogvm/

For your case it should be:

https://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed/blobs/master/platforms/unix/plugins/SerialPlugin/sqUnixSerial.c

> So the sources file contains things like openPort but not
> openPortByName. So what do I have to do to get into the patches such
> that the new SerialPlugin.c can be generated?
>
> Ah yes I used the pages at
>
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/building-the-vm-from-scratch-using-git-and-cmakevmmaker/

now you can read:
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/first-stop-vms-scm-and-related-stuff