On 16.08.2011 19:51, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i know that we're already having #deprecated: , #deprecated: on: in: etc
>
> but one thing what i think useful about annotations that it is a way
> to indicate that method is deprecated without showing a warning.
>
> The problem with using messages, that if you deprecate something which
> used quite often by code,
> you will be spammed with deprecation warnings all the time.
>
> So,  i think that in addition to messages, we can use these
> annotations, to indicate deprecated methods, in places where showing
> warning(s) are not feasible
> (for instance you cannot deprecate Deprecation>>showWarning, because
> it will lead to infinite recurtion)
>
> There could be variations in same way as with messages:
>
> <deprecated>
> <deprecated: '...' on: '..' in: '..'>
>
> etc.
>

> What you think?

How would that help anybody to find out whether they are relying on
deprecated methods? This seems like a big step backwards form a user
point of view. Suddenly a method is gone and you didn't get a warning.
You are you supposed to check for deprecated methods? Debug each and
every one of your message sends?

Yeah you could write tools support but we both know this isn't gonna happen.

Cheers
Philippe