ok, so

If no conforming visual exists, NULL is returned.
It is hard to imagine, that these attributes not supported

 {GLX_RGBA. GLX_DEPTH_SIZE.
 24.
GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER. 0}

the code seems to be fine.

This is what i found:

-------
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Programming_OpenGL_in_Linux:_GLX_and_Xlib

If glXChooseVisual returns with success, the visual's id will be
output. If NULL is returned, there is no visual that fulfills your
needs. In that case, check the output of glxinfo again. Maybe you have
to use a different depth buffer size (GLX_DEPTH_SIZE, 16 instead of
GLX_DEPTH_SIZE, 24), or you could even have to remove the
GLX_DEPTH_SIZE (or the GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER) entry. This should be
considered especially if you want to create programs not only for your
computer, but for other ones: You should code your program in a way
that it can check a list of different combinations of visual
attributes, because the capabilities depend heavily on the hardware.
-----
They also using
vi = glXChooseVisual(dpy, 0, att);

second argument = 0. not #defaultScreen.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.