On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2012, at 12:24 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> you can always make dependency less hardcoded:
>>
>> Smalltalk at: #ZnClient ifAbsent: [ self error: 'sorry dude' ]
>> ifPresent: [:client |
>>  ... download stuff , whatever ]
>

> Why don't we make that the default? That is, compile all globals
> to something like "self environment lookUp: #ClassName" ?

In general it will lead to unimplemented calls so it is always better
to solve it with polymorphism. However we need some standard way how
to work with that.

- the expression "self environment" is not good because the message
#environment is defined only in classes and for nil, not in Object.

- we should rise a standard exception with default action taken from UIManager.

- there should be an optional variant messages that take a package
name as an argument so the error handling will be able to tell user
what package should be installed.

-- Pavel