On 4/24/12, Dale Henrichs <dhenr...@vmware.com> wrote:
> Very cool!
>
> Let's see ... export the pharo implementation of STON in Cypress package
> format (using FileTree), then port STON to other dialects and voila:) the
> next generation of Cypress can use STON in place of JSON!
>
> Dale

Yes, this is promising.

First of all STON has a good name
'Smalltalk Object Notation'. People who know JSON will be instantly
familiar with the general idea. Sven writes this in the document
attached as a PDF at the beginning of this thread. [1]

Second
     STON offers more than JSON
     shared objects and cycles in the object graph are supported in STON.
     more data types

Third
   STON seems to be superset of JSON. Sven writes above that he
implemented this today in a new version.

Fourth
    It is literal Smalltalk if we accept a dictionary type {} as done
in Amber Smalltalk.

-- Hannes

[1] Sven Van Caekenberghe
If you have ever seen JSON (Javascript Object Notation) 1 , you will be
instantly familiar with Smaltalk Object Notation. It uses similar
primitive values, with the addition of a symbol type. Some details are
slightly
different though. For object values an optional class tag precedes a
representation that is either a list of values or a map of keys and
values. Exactly
how each class is represented is up to the implementation, although this
document suggests some conventions for well known classes.