On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr>wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > I love that scenario :)
> > This is great that powerful tools let us imagine and build solutions
> that would not be possible
> > before. Power to imagination…
> >
> And it is an example for a building block that helps to build things.
> Things that are *impossible*
> without it.
>
> Another way to view Fuel is that of a scientific experiment: We
> empirically study the existing
> (ImageSegment). Without pre-concived notions to replace it! (We actually
> thought ImageSegments
> would turn out to be the greatest thing ever and just needed some
> documentation/more understandable
> implementation).

Indeed. I remember my first months in Douai for my PhD making drawings to
understand the IS primitives :)
And then Martin arrived hahaha.

> -> You study the existing
> -> You claim that you can do better
> -> You do better.
>
> And then the next step is *extremeley* importnat:
>
> -> You prove that it is better for real by *replacing* ALL the existing
> subsystems that do the same.
>
> That last part is very essential: in the end, you often see that it is
> actually not that easy.

That's a real good point. In Spanish I would say "Los pingos se ven en la
cancha"

> So *replacing* is important. The other thing important is to realize that
> it enables things that are impossible
> without.

+1
Fuel is getting more and more users. Even in BioInformatics:

http://biosmalltalk.blogspot.fr/2012/07/custom-serialization-of-big-dna-or.html
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Software-using-Fuel

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com