As I mentioned elsewhere, every one of the universal motors I've ever heard
were noisy things, very noisy. Edison used his own brand of motor and I'm
not sure what Victor or others used but they were of different design but
still noisy. It seems like they would have been more of a novelty for the
wealthy. The Induction motor was a different story. Every one of those I've
seen were made by G.E. including those used in Edison and Victor machines,
and possibly others as well. They are noiseless compared to a universal
motor. I'd be interested to know of any other brands of induction motors
that were used in machines of the day.

Bruce