Abe, the Capehart radio/phonos made from the mid 1930s to about 1950 were among the very finest, most exclusive models available in the USA. With very few exceptions such as the D-22 and the QU-8 which actually used a Capehart 16E changer and the postwar Berkshire series, ALL of which are very rare, RCA had nothing to compare. Aside from a very few other specialty makers such as E.H. Scott and McMurdo Silver, there were were no radio/phonos available in the USA that compared with the Capeharts. That's why these Capeharts are held in such high regard by collectors today.

There were two common series made during these years, the 100 and the 400 series (model number were in these ranges). The 100 series was the cheaper one with smaller amplifiers and less elaborate cabinetry. The 400 series looked similar to the 100 series, but they usually (not always) had more and/or larger amplifiers and more expensive speakers and more elaborate cabinets. There was also a much rarer 300 series which were "tall-boy" cabinets with the components stacked vertically, and the EXTREMELY RARE 500 series which were the SUPER deluxe models available usually by special, customized order only. All these series used the exclusive Capehart flipover record changers. The early (prewar) record changers were the 16E models (several variations), and the postwar changers were the 41E models which are easily identifiable by their chromed, tubular tonearms. All these changers played only 78rpm until the 41E-2 model which came out about late 1948. This model had interchangeable TONEARMS (not just headshells) that provided for either 78rpm or for microgroove 33rpm playback. The 41E-2 was made for only a short time (probably less than 2 years) before Capehart discontinued the flipover changers completely and went to cheaper drop-type changers, most of which were furnished by VM (Voice of Music). These later Capeharts (starting around 1950) used a different numbering system and were cheapened considerably from the early 100 and 400 series. These later Capeharts are not very collectible and do not bring high prices from collectors. The B-1002-F model that you have mentioned in Arizona is an example of one of these later, post 1950 models. It would probably bring around $200 in nice condition.

Greg Bogantz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Abe Feder" <abefed...@gmail.com>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] O/T: Capehart 414N-1

Greg, I have noted that you and several members like the Capehart units . I
have seen a few of them here in Arizona from time to time.-I know nothing
about them. There is one for sale now on Craigslist a model # B-1002-F.
Owner says that it has been in his family for 60 years. He has original
instruction manual as well as bill of sale and is asking $750.00. Any
comments about it or price?
Thx Abe Feder