>From Ron D:

Bill, I assume they finally recorded DDs at 78 because it was the
same speed as needle cut Edison discs.
The change was made in Feb. 1929 when the old 79 Fifth Avenue Studios
were abandoned for new ones further
up 5th avenue. All DDs with matrix numbers of 19025 and above were
recorded at 78 rpm. When
dubbing to 160 rpm Blue Amberols from 78s, the master was simply
played at 78 rpm into the cylinder
recorder.

The Edison Co. advised dealers to tell customers to play old 80 rpm
DDs at 79 rpm as a happy medium
for both types of Edison records. I suspect that customers may not
have noticed the difference between
78 and 80 rpm when playing discs.

Ron