The Triumph A 2/4 upgrade mandrel is very rare because most of the time you see
an A it has the B upgrade mandrel on it which will fit but you have to move the
upper bed plate all the way to the right so the belt will not hit so the screw
holding the bedplate down will be all the way to the left and not centered in
its lug.

All the upgrade mandrels and feedscrews are stamped.  My article below and the
copies of the Edison letter should answer all your questions, if not please let
me know.

I have a Triumph A with a B mandrel on it.  No other companies made them to my
knowledge.  Edison made 2/4 upgrade mandrels and pulleys for the Concert, the
early Spring Motor, and the ABC triumphs.

Steve

I was able to find a copy of a letter Edison sent to his dealers telling about
the different mandrel upgrades for the home and triumphs.  If the dealers
needed a letter, how much more will this information help us?

Here are some things that I have found from the letter and myself.  The lengths
of the triumph feed screws are as follows:

The A is 4 27/32" and is marked T D A I  and TA on the feedscrew and the
mandrel.

The B is 5" and is marked T D B I, TBI, or just a large TB on the mandrel and
the end of the feed screw is also marked.

The C is 5 1/4" and is marked T D C I on the feedscrew and the mandrel. I have
never seen a C except for a pulley.

The D and E (and F I assume) is marked T D only.

The pulley is marked with an A B C or D.

Homes:

The home is marked H B I, IHB or H A B I for the A & B and H C for C.

The home D and higher is marked H D.

If you put a Triumph B mandrel on a Triumph A you have to move the upper
bedplate to the right all the way to compensate or the belt hits where it goes
through the lower bedplate.  My Triumph A has a B mandrel on it.

I believe the pulleys are the same, and think the shifters on the C kits have
the lip like the D and higher does, but I have only seen one home C and one
triumph C with the kit so I can't say for certain.  7 or 8 Triumph C's are
known and the Home C is very uncommon.

Until I saw this letter on eBay (I did not win it but purchased a photocopy
from the winner) I did not know they made 5 different ones.  If anyone wants a
copy of the letter e-mail to them please contact me.

Steve

>From Terry Baer:

The model C used a unique mandrel assembly
with "captured" bearing.  Picture an early two minute mandrel shaft.  Remove
the mandrel and turn down the area under the mandrel to about 5/16" leaving
the larger 5/8" feedscrew.  Now slip on a bearing that is 5/8 OD 5/16 ID.
Now slip on a mandrel with smaller 5/16 holes on both ends.  Now slip the
whole assembly in the top works.