Marek Kilimajer wrote:

I know its due to the way my Apache is setup (not rewrite rules) but the following always works for me:

http://www.somedomain.com/doit

runs

http://www.somedomain.com/doit.php

--
apache just does its magic - I believe its to do with the DocumentIndex apache conf setting
(i.e. Apache makes use of the extensions found there) - please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

heh Marek,

I wasn't the original poster on this thread - I don't have any problems
with my setup - I was just mentioning the behaviour of my server....
which does make use of some rewrite rules - but (AFAIKS) not for the
behaviour I described.

Your conditions are as follows:
1. reqeusted filename is not a directory:
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

2. reqeusted filename is not a file:
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

If all above matches, put ".php" at the end:
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /$1.php

So it has nothing to do with DocumentIndex. All that is necessary is to request a file that does not exist on the server even if you add ".php" at the end:

/foo - neither file or directory, rewrite to /foo.php
/foo.php - neither file or directory, rewrite to /foo.php.php
/foo.php.php - neither file or directory, rewrite to /foo.php.php.php
...etc.

The problem is ^(.*)$ matches everything. Try ^([^.]*)$ - no dot in url

as I said I don't have a problem.... but your point is well made is relation to the originally posted problem :-)