[snip]
I want to create a single php file which will be able to display
multiple html
forms.

Like this: Form1 -> Form2 -> Form3.

After the user completes and submits Form1, the script will process it
and
display a different form. etc...

I am new to php, I would need some detailed instructions, or point me to
an
opensource php script which already does that so that I can analyse it.
[/snip]

Google is your friend for tutorials and there are several examples of
what you want to do web wide. Basically your form action(s) will be
$PHP_SELF and you should use the POST method. Each form could be a case
in a switch statement http://www.php.net/switch with each form button
having an action. There are several good examples there