Jad Madi wrote:
>  I hardly convince my company to have their PHP products open source,
> now the challenge is to protect their products from being stolen and
> used illegally so we may Encode only one or two files to keep the use
> of our products on Certain domain or IP address. Any idea how to
> accomplish this ?

Here's the thing:

Software piracy is a social problem.

It's really not solved well by a technical response.

Your best bet is to have a CLEAR and FAIR licensing deal, that anybody
running the software will simply pay up.

No matter what you do, there will ALWAYS be somebody who will find way to
steal your software.

If you make it simple and easy and inexpensive to just BUY it legally,
you'll minimize the losses, without losing customers who will refuse to
use software with encrypted source, or the hassle of dongles or hardware
dependencies or any of that other "solutions" to this problem.

> if its a must to encode some files to achive our goal then we prefer
> to stick with opensource/free encoder, our choice now is mmCache
> Encoder, but since dl() gonna be depracted in the mean of removed in
> php5, we will not be able to offer our products for shared hosting
> clients

Again, just license it cheaply enough and simply enough that they'll pay
up rather than try to fight you and steal it.

> any idea how to protect our products, keeping it open souce as much as
> possible ?

If your software is worth buying and is priced fairly and clearly
licensed, and if you provide an easy way for the customer to pay up when
the license is due, you'll have a lot less headaches than trying to encode
it.

If your software is NOT fairly/clearly priced, or it's too difficult to
pay and renew the license, you'll end up losing far more money than the
encryption will save you.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm