On 15 Feb 2005 Greg Donald wrote:

> > If you have to choose between a meaningful variable name and performance
> > considerations, buy more hardware! :-)
> >
> > The cost you'll save in the long run for code maintenance will make it
> > worth it.
>
> Comments in the code make using short session variable names a non-issue.

Most of what's in my session file is data, not variable names, and my
variable names are not particularly long.  Descriptive, but not overly
so (actually in this case most of the 'names' are associative array
indices).  If I shortened the variable names I might go down from 250K
to 200K -- if that -- at a large cost in time for code modifications.
I'm not at all keen on that approach, though I'm sure it might work for
some.

--
Tom