Has anyone written anything, perhaps in PEAR or elsewhere, that allows for
some portability of XSLT use across PHP 4 with Sablotron, PHP 4 with
domxml, and PHP 5?

I'm doing some work on a project at the moment, and the server it will be
hosted on initially has PHP 4 compiled with Sablotron support.
Unfortunately my workstation where I'm doing a lot of prototyping runs
Fedora Core 3 and has PHP 4.3.11 compiled with '--with-xml'
'--with-expat-dir=/usr' '--with-dom=shared,/usr' '--with-dom-xslt=/usr'
'--with-dom-exslt=/usr'. All attempts so far to recompile Fedora's src rpm
with sablotron have failed and frankly I've given up. Besides which, it's
likely that at some we'll want to start using PHP 5. I can use the domxml
XSLT support in PHP 4 on my FC3 box just fine, e.g. like this:

<?php
$filename = "default.xsl";
$xmldoc = domxml_open_file("control.xml");
$xsldoc = domxml_xslt_stylesheet_file($filename);
$result =  $xsldoc->process($xmldoc);
echo $xsldoc->result_dump_mem($result);
?>

but that isn't too much help given that that doesn't work on the
production server.

Has anyone done any work on creating something like PEAR:DB which will
use the functions described here:

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/ref.domxml.php
http://uk.php.net/manual/en/ref.xslt.php
http://uk.php.net/manual/en/ref.xsl.php