The Disguised Jedi wrote:

Contact the company who wrote the software you're trying to use for >

support. Already done. They haven't responded in more than a week.

Just as an aside - I have had exactly the same problem with a number of home brew applications. Built using Builder5 and 6. It is just a matter that some library (in my case the COM port library) sits listening in place of the idle process. It is a matter of sorting out just what is not 'playing fair', but the overall performance of the machine is not affected since the 'rogue idle loop' simply gives up control when something more pressing comes along.
I eventually got the COM driver replaced with one from another source, and the problem went away, but it was not really a problem - more an annoyance ;)

--
Lester Caine