David Dorward wrote:
--- Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From a php developer point of view there is one
big problem with 'follow the standards' mantra as
far as square brackets go (with regard to use in the
value of name attributes of form fields) ...

Nope. The names of form controls MAY contain square
brackets, it is the ids that may not

AHA! - I seem to have read the specvs incorrectly - the 'id' attribute
is defined as 'W3C datatype' NAME whereas the 'name' attribute (atleast as
far as the FORM, INPUT & SELECT tags are concerned) is of 'W3C datatype' CDATA.

the CDATA type allow ssquare brackets ofcourse = which means
the php choice of using the square brackets is AOK. :-)

<SIDENOTE TO JAY>
the 'when to break the rules' idea still stands in theory :-)
</SIDENOTE TO JAY>

(and the name and id attributes do NOT need to have the same value).

that I know - I mentioned that myself in a previous post.