> PHP list,
>
> I have many times set the value of a variable by declaring it in the
> URL, like so:
>
> http://www.domain.com/index.php?var=1
>
> And then, to use the variable, all I have to do is use it in
> the script,
> like so:
>
> echo "This is the value of the variable: " . $var;
>
> But, for some reason, in a script I'm writing now, this
> simple process
> isn't working.
>
> The only thing I can think of that is different between
> before and now
> is that the new script is being executed in PHP5, whereas before was
> with PHP4.
>
> In my new script, I check the value of $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'], the
> value is contained in there, so it is being assigned and
> contained somehow.
>
> What could I possibly be missing in what should be a super
> simple process?

To expand on Jay's excellent advice, you have been depending on "register
globals" to set the variable names for you.  This is widely regarded as a
bad practice, because you don't know for sure where $var came from.  You
should ALWAYS use $var=$_GET['var'] when taking values from the url to set a
variable.

For more information on the evils of register globals, STFA.  There have
been many discussions in this list on that topic.

JM