At 11/10/2006 07:09 AM, tedd wrote:
Lastly, I think we all know that "non-profit" simply means that at the end of the year you get to roll your profits over to the next year without incurring taxes on the excess. Nothing more.

Plus, there's no limit or requirements as to the amount/percentage you pay yourself as compared to what amounts you apply to your "cause". So, mentioning "non-profit" to me is like saying you're just another scam -- and one, who's trolling for free php services.

My, aren't we grumpy! What big bad non-profit organization rained on your parade?

One of the many things that distinguishes non-profit organizations [1] from for-profit businesses is that, because they don't generate a profit [2] and are not permitted to pay out dividends, they don't attract financial investors. Most non-profits are therefore dependent on donations and grants. The financial downturn in recent years has decimated granting foundations which have been forced to reduce their grants to a small fraction of their previous funding levels and stopped granting entirely in many sectors and geographical areas. Non-profit organizations that are attempting to make positive change in areas where there is little or no short-term capitalistic reward, such as health, education, and environmental protection, have fallen on very hard times. I urge you not to be so suspicious of nor antagonistic toward a purported non-profit until you check them out, as do the grantors, to make sure their cause is true and their administrators are really wearing patched and shabby clothing and that their children are going hungry as signs of their honesty. After all, if you're doing good work in the world, you aren't allowed a decent wage; it's only people working for their own profit who can eat well without criticism.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonprofit
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profit

In the meantime, I suppose it is emblematic of my own innocence that it always surprises me when someone asks a naive question and is answered by insults and jeers in a listserve composed of bright and knowledgeable people who have purportedly come together for mutual education. There may be no such thing as a stupid question, but the same cannot be said of the range of possible answers.

Had the original poster known enough about our field to ask for recommendations of open source solutions, would he have been treated so roughly?

He didn't, by the way, ask for anything for free.  He said,
I unfortunately can't make it myself because I don't have the knowledge, can
anyone of you do this for me?

When no mention of remuneration has been made, why do you assume none will be forthcoming? Is this how you greet all prospective clients, non-profit or otherwise, who approach you asking for help? Are we to assume that this indicates your innate curiosity, your desire to gain clients, your ability to negotiate, your willingness to devote yourself to a good cause, or your capacity for politeness?

On the surface you appear defend your right to be paid for your work (as though anyone had demanded otherwise!), but I would be very surprised if the OP considered for a moment hiring any self-proclaimed professional who replied so harshly to his query.

Regards,
Paul