http://modauthmysql.sourceforge.net/

Pretty much the greatest plugin ever invented for Apache.
I use it religiously.

Then you can have both methods sharing the same db table and it's seemless
and WAY more secure than trying to do some 'index.php' or 'header' tricks...

Basically add something like this to your apache vhost_foo.conf file:

    <Directory /home/foo/public_html/admin>
      Options All +Includes
      AllowOverride None

      AuthName                          "My Private Admin Stuff"
      AuthType                          Basic
      require                           valid-user

      AuthMySQLHost                     localhost
      AuthMySQLDB                       mydatabase
      AuthMySQLUser                     mydbuser
      AuthMySQLPassword                 mydbpass
      AuthMySQLPwEncryption             sha1
      AuthMySQLUserTable                users
      AuthMySQLNameField                username
      AuthMySQLPasswordField            password
      AuthMySQLUserCondition            "type = 'Admin' AND enabled = 1"
    </Directory>

That last AuthMySQLUserCondition is the most useful addition.

Also take a look at this, for some additional ideas in making your "login"
look more professional than just some form fields on a web page...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.http-auth.php

You can combine all three methods and chicks will love you like no other...

D.Vin
http://daevid.com