Todd

I want to thank you. You sent me thinking in the right direction to resolving
this issue. I now have successfully created a live Pika Card status GUI using
PHP, MYSQL, AJAX.

The key word in what you said was unique function. I was not thinking to write
a function. I was looking for the quick solve (php MySQL loop or something
stupid). Not only does this work flawless but it has surpassed all my
expectations of the gui.

Todd thank you again for your suggestions and you helped me allot.

Nameless,

I see someone mentioned the setTimeout(function, milliseconds) function for
JavaScript. I would also like to point out that you can use
setInterval(function, milliseconds) in order to have an event repeat at a set
interval. For instance, let's say you had a page laid out like so:

---
        Text here
---

You would want to add a script somewhere that would begin the interval in order
to update the div:

---
<script type="text/javascript">
        function ajaxRequest()
        {
                // <insert postback code here>

                document.getElementById("blah").innerHTML = ajax.responseText;

        }

        var t = setInterval("ajaxRequest()", 5000);
</script>
---

This assumes that your XmlHttpRequest object is named "ajax". Assigning the
interval to variable "t" ensures that you can clear the interval if you need to
(via "clearInterval(t);").

I suppose "innerText" can be used instead of "innerHTML", as well. I would
recommend using innerHTML only if you will be populating the div with HTML
code, however.

Hope this helps,

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer