> the way your site renders should be purely based upon the size of the display.

Although I mostly agree with this statement, it ignores the most
interesting aspects of mobile technology, such as being able to ask
the user for their GPS location and deliver content accordingly.  I
worked on some real estate websites that would show the user the
houses for sale within a certai distance from where they were
standing, and then leverage Google Maps for a "get directions from
where you are" feature.

The Mobile Web list has had some interesting discussions regarding this stuff...