Hmm...I'm not a *nix guru, but I remember there is a command that allows you
to change current user.
so suppose it was called: changeuser, do this with PHP as web user:

1)execute changeuser [ftplogin] [ftppassword]
normally the ftp user have the rights to change mode and write to files
2)execute chmod filename newmode (as ftp user)

hope this gives a hint,

//elias