"Thomas Deliduka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> A little background... Skip to "THE JIST" if you wanna make this quick.
>
> I am on this webmaster's list where most of the people are fairly new
> webmasters. They're just getting the hang of things. I am probably one of
> the only advanced ones on there (not to toot my own horn really) and I'm
one
> of two who use PHP (the other is just learning.)

I don't know if you refer to this list or other one, but I've been a
webmaster since 1993 and in computers in general since 1988 and I also
consider myself of the "advanced" type.

> I tout PHP and MySQL as awesome, which they are, but I don't say they're
the
> only technology out there.
>
> There is another guy, a kid, who is a major Java guy and he's BIG into XML
> and JSP.
>
> Some guy on this list asked what a good dynamic web solution is, I
> immediately chimed in and said PHP was great, free, and on most all linux
> hosts.  Told him how powerful it was and what could be done with it.
>
> This kid chimes in and says, something to the affect of that if the guy
> wants to live in the past and not let his website go anywhere then he
should
> go with PHP but JSP is the wave of the future and it's more powerful, and
> has the backing of the almighty Sun and the Open Source community (as if
PHP
> doesn't).
>
> THE JIST
>
> So, the jist is, what does PHP have to offer to the web in the future?  I
> think it's still a viable option that will be around for at least another
> 6-7 years. This kid thinks it's shelf life is another 3.  What do ya'll
> think?

He MAY be right, may not.  XML is just not so standardized (if in doubt look
how IE and Netscape each implement it "their way") I consider XML like
"freestyle HTML".   I know this technology has great potential but if
developers don't decide on how to standardize it, it could die young.  PHP
however (as an avid follower) is on a "fast track" and even Microsoft
considers it a strong contender to ASP.  However, both PHP and XML
technologies are just scripting engines.  Products like the Zend engine are
just starting to scratch the surface for truly dynamic, cached, real-time
web applications.  I'm not saying that either PHP or XML (or any other
technology that comes along) is going to die or leave the other "in the
dust" but look what has happened with Java, it has certainly lost momentum.