----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Fischer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mark Maggelet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] Assign multiple variables from mysql_fetch_row() call

> You wrote:
> > >I use list context a lot in PHP and Perl, and I prefer Perl's way of
> > >doing it *because* it allows you to be as verbose or terse as you
> > >like.
> > >PHP, unfortunately, doesn't give you that freedom.
> >
> > Hmm... the freedom to write unreadable, unmaintainable code, yes this
> > is a very important feature.
>
> Yes, well, that all depends on who's writing it.  I've been writing Perl
> for several years, and believe you me, the code is plenty readable.
> And, it's much more concise than anything written in PHP.  That freedom
> is what's so appealing about Perl.  But of course, I'm on a PHP list
> (because I like both), so the people who will agree with me are few and
> far between.
>
> One can write unreadable code in PHP or Perl.  It all depends on what
> you know about the language and how well you are able to use it.
> Keywords make no real difference, because when I see ($foo, $bar), I
> know it's a list.  I don't need a list() operator to know that.  ;)
>
> --
>  -Ryan :: ICQ - 595003 :: GigaBoard - http://www.gigaboard.net/

Which is why you see spoofs like this one
http://bbspot.com/News/2001/03/perl_test.html

I'm sorry, I have heard the arguments that PERL can be extremely readable
if written properly.  The problem with this from the standpoint of someone
trying to learn the language is that many (if not most) people who program
in
PERL don't take the time to write readable code.  This makes both
maintaining
and learning from PERL programs more difficult.  I think that they would
even
admit on a PERL list that PERL does have a higher learning curve than PHP.

Sheridan