> And remember "0 as a number is as important as any other number".

I wish the rest of the world saw it that way! But not so...

You may want to look at MySQL's IS_NULL function for retrieving data. Other
than that, I don't have any good advice. It seems that if you retrieve a
NULL from the database and try to assign it to a PHP variable, that variable
gets destroyed. AFAIK, yes, you need a bunch of data checks, both putting
data in and pulling it back out.

Kirk