I'll try this again, with a new topic and a better description.

Can PHP print floating point numbers using scientific notation?
(like 1.32e+5) sscanf reads them ok using %f, but I'd like to print
them with %e or %g and the printf documentation doesn't mention them.

I've tried %e anyway and it fails to print the exponent part.

I've looked at the source code to PHP a little but with the IFDEFs
I'm not sure which routine is actually being used. I sort of have the
impression it is just calling the C routines directly so the %e and
%g should work?

Linux (RH 7.1), Apache (1.3.20), PHP (4.0.6)

Thanks.
--
  Bill Rausch, Software Development, Unix, Mac, Windows
  Numerical Applications, Inc.  509-943-0861   [EMAIL PROTECTED]