i just tried a test and it works on MacOS X. even with the space between
'chmod' and '('.

what platform are you on? is this a standalone script/app or from a web
page? can you perform the chmod from the command-line? what is the entire
error message?

also, the error doesn't really suggest this, but have you tried using the
full path?