ID: 14804
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Documentation problem
Operating System: Any
PHP Version: 4.1.1
New Comment:

Correction:
the $PHP_AUTH_USER and $PHP_AUTH_PW in the bottom half of the example script, should
be changed to their $_SERVER equivalent also.

[2002-01-02 12:44:04] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please see:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.predefined.php
as opposed to:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.http-auth.php

PHP_AUTH vars, are not listed in the Apache list, while the features page, qualifies
them as such.

Under ISAPI however, these vars are available as:
AUTH_PASSWORD and AUTH_USER, so people looking for a reason why their script won't
work, either bum out, when viewing the second page, or look at phpinfo and see
nothing, because you need to be logged in first, to see them (yes, there are ways less
obvious).

So, either they should be listed as Apache variables in the first page, or they should
not be called Apache variables in the second page.

In any case, I think mentioning, they are called differently in ISAPI on the second
page, is not a luxury.

Also - I think example 17-1 should be changed to:
<?php
  if (!isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'])) {
    header("WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm=\"My Realm\"");
    header("HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized");
    echo "Text to send if user hits Cancel button\n";
    exit;
  } else {
    // The variables below could be called differently.
    // If so, change the code below to phpinfo() and look
    // them up
    echo "<p>Hello $PHP_AUTH_USER.</p>";
    echo "<p>You entered $PHP_AUTH_PW as your password.</p>";
  }
?>

which should work on any platform, that supports the feature, independant of
register_globals settings.

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=14804&edit=1