On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:

> > The "integration" bit could be done as a documentation
> > bug report, with the advantage that there will be a
> > track record of the action/contents.
>
> Do you mean that user notes would be automatically turned into
> documentation bug reports if decided by a note admin? This sounds good
> to me :) Others will surely point out the downsides :)

One huge downside is the bugs system didn't have such a
task in mind when it was created, and a seperate system
would be more useful and well used.  Since we're
talking about actually implementing the note maintainer
system[1], I think said system should handle this and
not bugs.php.net  All the ideas in this thread[2] and
other[3] threads seem to make this the desirable option.
And this was discussed at the 2003 phpdoc meeting[4]
and some interesting findings[5] came about.  Because
people agreed that non-CVS users should be able to
maintain notes, this is yet another reason why
bugs.php.net shouldn't get involved.

[snip]
> > One thing I always wanted (and wrote code that was
> > never integrated for some reason), was to let notes
> > editors register which manual sections/pages they
> > would be interested in editing, that way he/she would
> > only recieve the emails related to those sections (of
> > course all the other notes will still go to the Notes
> > mailing list).
>
> Last time this came up, it was said that there is not much note admin
> currently to handle the notes, and the notes could be handled
> 'efficiently enough' if the changes proposed by Mehdi would be
> implemented. At least this is what I can remmeber. Since I am not an
> active note maintainer, don't take this opinions seriously.

Having an intuitive system that enhances the note maintainer
process should help with this, and the proposed ideas for this
sound good.  First it'll only be for those with CVS accounts
but sometime in the future (and depending on how it all
goes) this should expand into the public where PHP CVS
accounts are not required, just knowledge.

On a related note, I've been away for awhile but am slowly
working back into the fold, so I very well could have missed
something on this topic in the last three or so months.

Regards,
Philip

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=phpdoc&m=99618446902193
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=phpdoc&m=106045687304773