Hello Nuno!

Very nice that you have chosen to tackle this problem, here
are some related bug reports:

  http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=18403
  http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=21157

Also be sure to read the following thread as it's chalked
full of information on this topic and will no doubt
complicate matters for your script:

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=phpdoc&m=105161194723229

Lastly, I believe there are only three php.ini only
directives and that safe_mode is in fact PHP_INI_SYSTEM
but I could be wrong.  Also, I too cannot see why
"PHP_INI_PERDIR|PHP_INI_SYSTEM" would need to exist.

Regards,
Philip