I'm working on an ldap deployment that uses SHA512 to store password
hashes with the module from contrib/slapd-modules/passwd/sha2 in the
source distribution.

This command:

echo -n "secret" | openssl dgst -sha256 -binary | openssl enc -base64

Will properly encode a password that can be added via ldapmodify. Is
there already support for this encoding in the frontend that i'm
missing? if not, how should I get started to add support?

Thanks,
Nathanael