Hi Alex,

>> Have you measured and/or noticed impact on performance of these
>> micro-optimizations?  I mean, are they really worth it?
>
> Very probably not ... it is similar to the situation with 'do' ;-)

When you work on the 64 bit version, you obviously implemented
miniPicoLisp "prototype" and now building it in assembler.  How and
when do you decide what should be implemented in C (or asm) and what
in picoLisp?  Do you first implement a minimal neccessary core in
C/asm and a few things in picoLisp and then later reimplement some
picolisp code in C/asm for efficiency reasons?

> Still I think it is good to have certain convenience functions that
> don't evaluate their arguments. Not having to quote their arguments
> makes their use a little shorter and more readable. No big deal.

Probably.  That makes them convenient for manual typing but not so
much for program "transformations" like the original closure example.

Cheers,

Tomas